Hire a LED screen: What should I take into account?
02/01/2018 door JDS
Led screens become more and more popular, they are a must to give your event that innovative upgrade and to guarantee visibility towards your visitors. Whether it’s a concert, sport event, movie night, open day, exhibition, corporate event, festival, brand promotion or unique concept – Led screens are almost always an ideal solution. But how should I know which screen fits perfectly to my needs and to my event? The offer is enormous and there are so many different sizes and configurations, offered by very different suppliers. What should I take into account?
1. SupplierAs with other purchases or decisions, it’s always interesting to compare several suppliers and their product offers. Requesting quotations doesn’t cost you anything, but gives you tons of information to give you a better idea about the possibilities, prices and products. Not every supplier is able to deliver all kinds of led screens. Some only deliver modular screens, others only mobile, some are limited to a certain maximum size and others can deliver endless possibilities, sizes and configurations! Making a good comparison before making a decision is very important and doing that you should take into account the next items.
2. SizeHow to estimate the perfect size of your screen? First of all, you should take a look at your event location. What are the possibilities and what are the limits? From where do the visitors need to see the images? Based on these answers, you can already decide whether one screen will be enough and how big it can possibly be. Next, it could be interesting to measure the maximum viewing distance to decide the minimum size of the screen. To what point does the audience extend? It’s quite obvious that visitors watching a 4sqm screen from a 40m viewing distance, won’t see very much. As a third point you should think about the content, do you need a standard width x height configuration like 4:3 or 16:9 or do you want something completely customized? Based on this information you can inform your supplier, who will help you with his best fitting proposal, taking into account the infrastructural possibilities and limits.
3. Resolution and image qualityThe biggest price differences are mostly hidden in this category. It’s perfectly possible that supplier A charges twice as much compared to supplier B, even if the screen has the same size. In this case it’s certainly recommended to inform about the resolution of the screen. The general rule says: “The higher the resolution, the more pixels, the better your image quality will be” this means “the more pixels per sqm, the higher the resolution and the closer you can stand to the screen.”
To determine the resolution of a LED screen you have know toe ‘Pixelpitch’. What is ‘Pixelpitch’? The Pixelpitch is the distance between the center of a pixel and the center of the next pixel. A screen with Pixelpitch 4mm (P4) will have exactly 4mm between the center of one pixel and the center of the following pixel. The higher the pitch, the lower your resolution or image quality per square meter will be! The higher the pitch, the smaller your minimum viewing distance, the closer your visitors can stand to the screen. If your visitors are standing very close to the screen, it’s better to choose a smaller pixelpitch, in order to offer a good quality for a small viewing distance. If your visitors are standing quite far away, you can go for a bigger pixelpitch.
It is very important to set this element into relation with the size of the screen. For example: Looking at two screens of identical size, the screen with the lowest pixelpitch will have the best image quality and will have a smaller minimum viewing distance. On the other hand, a screen of 40sqm in P8 will have a better image quality then a screen of 10sqm in P5, because the first one contains a lot more pixels thanks to its size. So, everything depends on your needs, the size of the screen, the viewing distance and the content you’d like to use (see 4.). But taking into account your answers on these questions, should give the supplier the opportunity to guide you towards the best products for your needs.
Not very clear to you? Just ask your supplier! Some suppliers don’t even mention the pixelpitch, although it is one of the most important elements! But what about other specifications? What does RGB, SMD, refresh rate, gray scale, brightness mean? Just ask a professional supplier, he will help you with pleasure and will be able to answer all your questions.
4. ContentThe content or the images you’d like to show on your screen are at least as important as the screen itself. Depending on what you’d like to show, you can also determine an appropriate resolution. Textual messages or informative messages don’t need a high resolution of course, as soon as they’re readable – the resolution is high enough. Live images, movies, performances or sport events demand higher resolutions in order to be able to show the images perfectly to the visitors. Even sponsors ask for high resolution screens to display their logo or advertisings. Some suppliers, among which HD Ledshine, don’t only have a graphical department that will be glad to assist you choosing and creating your content, but offer even the possibility of live filming and live images (camera’s, direction etc.)!
5. Mobile screens or modular screens?The difference is very clear. Mobile screens are actually modular screens already installed on a trailer. Thanks to this prior installation, the screen is built up a lot faster and requires less crew (so less costs!). In most cases, a mobile screen can be built up by only one person within a limited time period (1 – 2 hours). Modular screens of the same size, require a complete crew for several hours or days (depending on the size) to manage the buildup process. This also has its consequences, having fixed configurations for mobile trailers and free to choose customized configurations for modular screens.
Mobile screens are almost uniquely used for outdoor events, but in several cases even indoor use is possible. Modular screens will be built up customized to the possibilities and needs of the event. Indoor, outdoor, straight or bended – the possibilities regarding configuration and size are endless. But… the price will be higher because of the extra crew costs and timing.
What about the structure? How will the screens be attached? In the case of mobile screens, the structure is already integrated in the trailer, saving again a lot of time. In the case of modular screens, this should be arranged separately but there are lots of possibilities: Trusses, scaffolds or the infrastructure of the location itself. Normally the supplier of the modular LED tiles, will be able to deliver you the structure as well. Do you prefer a mobile solution? Make sure to compare the different suppliers thoroughly! Mobile screens can differ a lot in size, image quality and design. Take your time to find your ideal solutions. The size of these popular screens vary between 4 and 144 square meter. The biggest mobile screen in the world is Belgian and was developed and designed by HD Ledshine. It’s 16 meters wide and 9 meters high, with base even 13 meters high – is built up in one hour and reaches 4K image quality! The second 144 square meter unit will be launched in April 2019.
Do you still have questions about the use of LED screens at your event?
Do not hesitate to contact us: email@example.com – www.hdledshine.com - +32 53 64 54 14
Do you need a comparing quotation? No problem! Request it at www.hdledshine.com or directly at firstname.lastname@example.org